Monday, November 29, 2010

When it rains it pours......I need eyeglasses

I simply can not believe how bad my luck is right now....

Since November 15th (when it opened) I have been spending most evenings at the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter which is totally run by Harvard students.

The shelter works this way as their website indicates
Two Week Beds: We are now lotterying all 14-night beds. Callers may call in between 7:30am and 8:00am to put their name in the lottery at which point the caller will receive a lottery number. The lottery will be run between 8:00am and 8:05am. People may call back between 8:05am and 8:30am as well as between 7pm and 9pm to find out if their lottery number was picked. Lottery numbers that have been selected (but not names) will also be posted on the shelter door during the day.

One Night Bed: When a guest with a reserved two week bed is not able to make it to the shelter that night, their bed is open for others to use as an emergency one night bed. Call in the evening at 9:30PM for a one-night bed.

So when the shelter opened I was able to get a bed for 8 days ( as when they open they do not give out all 14 night beds ) and then on several nights have been able to get a 'one night bed'.

If I don't get a one-night bed, it is off to the airport for a very uncomfortable sleep.

So that is good, but going to the shelter cost me dearly in another way.

Just 2 weeks ago I got a new set of bifocals as my old frame was broken. My insurance allows one set of eyeglasses a year. I put the eyeglasses inside my shoes when I went to sleep and someone stole them. Now on top of everything else I am can't see except to read.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I can go to get an inexpensive pair of glasses I would be very grateful.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment