Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Boston CLAIMS homeless numbers are down in 2010

3 days before Christmas

I look at amazement at the Boston Metro today (December 22) with a front page story saying the number of homeless living on the streets is down.

What the census conducted on December 6th found was
» 2%: Decrease in the number of individuals using Boston emergency shelters over the past year.
» 725: Number of chronically homeless people in Boston in fiscal year 2010, down from 962 in fiscal year 2005.
» 2,747: The number of homeless individuals in Boston, down from 3,944 five years ago.
» 26%: Boston’s street count reportedly found its lowest number of homeless people in 13 years, with the amount of homeless people filling ER beds and hospital beds down by about 26 percent.

Could have fooled me. Every shelter in the city is full and workers have said to me they have never seen it so bad. More likely what has happened is more have gone to Cambridge or Logan at night.

Update on my situation - I spent Sunday night at Logan but was able to secure an emergency bed in Cambridge the last two nights. Still every night until at least Sunday when I can re-apply for a 14 night bed is filled with uncertainty. I am hoping I can put together $34.99 so I can spend at least Christmas Eve at a Boston hostel.

I would like to thank Rachel who kindly sent me $25 2 days ago as it helps more than you know.

If anyone else is so inclined they can do so at the link below.



Mentally I am better than I was over the weekend but still down.

2011 will be better - it just has to be.

Happy Holidays!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment