Wednesday, January 26, 2011

1/26 - Dealing with the system......here is a roadmap

I would like to expand on what I blogged about on Monday.

In Cambridge here are the available options open to men

For women there is one other option

A a last resort

Very simply, it is a game of musical beds. In July it isn't a big deal, but in January......

Here is an overview of each program
SALVATION ARMY - CAMBRIDGE
Overview of Shelter & Services for the Homeless:
We offer a Continuum of Care for the Homeless through various levels of service. Bringing a man from homelessness to home ownership is a huge undertaking. That is, however, exactly what The Salvation Army attempts to accomplish. During the last fifteen years, The Salvation Army has developed a Continuum of Care designed to break the cycle of homelessness.
The Continuum of Care has five component programs offered at our Cambridge facility:

1. Drop-In Day Shelter
2. Emergency Overnight Shelter
3. A 90-Day Therapeutic Counseling Program with Housing
4. Single-Room Occupancy Housing Program at our Wellington House property in Arlington
5. Transitional & Independent Housing
Medical and mental health care are accessible through our collaboration with Health Care for the Homeless and Tri-City Mental Health Services.

To find out more please call us at (617) 547-3400.
HEADING HOME CAMBRIDGE 
The Cambridge Shelter – emergency shelter with capacity for 21 individuals that serves more than 150 annually
Women’s Drop-In Program – center that serves more than 275 women annually by providing hot meals, clothing, counseling and referrals

Housing


Homeless to Housing – apartments and intensive services provided for individuals with disabilities in Cambridge, Everett, Malden, Medford and Somerville
Congregate Permanent Housing – supported permanent housing provided for men and women



FIRST CHURCH SHELTER - CAMBRIDGE  (pictures)
Since 1987, First Church Shelter has provided a basic act of mercy to the poor and homeless of Cambridge and surrounding communities. Each evening 14 men are provided with a safe, comfortable place to stay. Our guests have access to two meals, showers and storage facilities for their belongings.

First Church Shelter also offers guests assistance with identifying and securing the resources they need to move out of homelessness and into transitional or permanent housing. Much of that assistance comes in the form of referrals to other agencies and service providers, but shelter staff are available to help guests negotiate the frequently difficult and intimidating process of applying for public benefits or subsidized housing.
CASPAR - ESC
FirstStep Street Outreach offers life saving alternatives to unsheltered homeless men and women who are affected by substance abuse, mental illness, and medical complications associated with life on the streets. FirstStep staff engage homeless people where they are and build trusting relationships. The goal - connect people with the services they need and save a life today so that recovery is possible in the future.

Through a combination of foot teams and mobile teams in vans, staff travel to known Cambridge and Somerville homeless hangouts—business districts, subway stations, parks, meal programs, drop-in centers, and building doorways— seeking homeless men and women who may need help. The staff offer unsheltered individuals access to emergency medical and psychiatric care, meal programs, shelters, substance abuse treatment, and daytime drop-in and social service centers.
HARVARD SQUARE HOMELESS SHELTER
We are a student-run homeless shelter currently operating out of the University Lutheran Church in Harvard Square that serves 24 men and women every night for the five coldest months of winter. We strive to provide our guests with resources and services that will help them successfully transition into housing. In the meantime, we hope to ensure a sense of dignity that is often absent when people have been maltreated or stigmatized because they are homeless.


ST. PATRICK'S SHELTER (WOMEN) - Somerville
St. Patrick’s Shelter for Homeless Women houses 30 women in emergency beds on a night-by-night basis as well as 10 transitional program participants each night. In addition to breakfast and dinner, the women are provided with referrals for health care, mental health services, and housing. A host of supportive and educational services are available to help families move toward a better future.

Those are the options.

The problem is long term shelters such as Heading Home and First Church are full. The Salvation Army to be blunt has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am far from alone in feeling that way.

First Church Shelter doesn't seem to return phone calls from my social worker at HSHS - other guests say the person who runs it is 'quirky'.

Heading Home - Every morning at 10 AM the answer is the same - full, try again tomorrow.

CASPAR - I am not a drunk, and sadly most of the people who stay there have simply given up or just don't care. Anyone who spends time in Central Square knows what I am saying.

Then you have the housing agencies
Waiting list - full - full - full

other options

and finally there is


Elderly/Disabled Public Housing
Elderly/Disabled Public Housing
The CHA manages over fifteen state and federally supported properties reserved just for elderly and disabled households. Applicants must be at least 58 years old to qualify for elderly housing. Elderly/disabled public housing is for low-income households with incomes not higher than 80% of of the Area Median Income (AMI) for Cambridge.

I am over 58 and I am on Social Security Disability - but I can't get anywhere with these people. This has just been so frustrating.

I need a Massachusetts ID - and I blogged about that last month 
Somerville Court computer system.Back in August of 2004 I paid a fine on a simple matter and somehow it was never credited to my docket number. 30 days later the court issued a warrant automatically. I was oblivious to this until March of 2008 when I returned to the court, the warrant was removed and fee was waived by the judge. However because the court had notified the Registry of Motor Vehicles of a warrant, the Registry wants $100 which again I don't have. The Registry people were actually very nice about it but they say there is nothing they can do unless the court WRITES a letter saying there was an error. Somerville Court says it is a Registry problem. Aye yi yi.


I can fully document all of this to anyone who wants to see my paperwork.


As far as what I owe the City of Cambridge - the bulk of it is now interest - I am willing to work as many hours of community service to pay my debt. I am not looking for a free ride.


Right now my income is $788 a month from Social Security (which also gives me full medical coverage)

BTW I again want to thank the people who have sent me a few dollars to help me get by. You have no idea how much that helps me right now. If anyone else is so inclined just click on the link below.




But as much as a few dollars would help, I just need help with the system. If you know anyway I can get eyeglasses please let me know and also for some legal guru to help me with this minor snafu between the Registry and the Somerville Court.

My computer time at the Cambridge Senior Center is up ( one advantage of being over 60 )

The snow is starting to fall and while I have been lucky in getting a one-night bed at the Harvard Square Shelter the past 4 nights I have no guarantee for tonight.

Thanks for reading and wish me luck. If nothing else I hope I have given some insight to the madness of going through the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment