Thursday, January 13, 2011

Has Ted Williams helped or hurt other homeless persons?

The past 10 days have been a whirlwind for Ted Williams.

In the beginning of 2011, few people were aware of the former panhandler’s existence and his golden radio voice. And now, the entire nation can’t seem to get enough of Williams’ overnight success -- and the pitfalls he’s consequently encountered, including an arrest and a decision to enter drug rehab.

So how’d it all happen? Let’s take a look:

Read more:

Like most people I have followed the saga of Ted Williams but being homeless myself and currently living in a shelter day by day I look at the picture from a different perspective.





A week ago I saw him on the TODAY show at the shelter in Harvard Sq and to a man, every other guest said the same thing - this man has not been sober for 2 years. I had the same thought as if sober you most likely would not be living in a cardboard box in January in Ohio if you were clean for an extended period of time. (unless there are mental health issues which is possible)

Now I have no clue on how I would handle becoming a national celebrity overnight, reuniting with family members I haven't seen in decades and the rest. I don't think anybody can answer that.

Of course I am not sure how I would deal with Dr. Phil either.

TODAY - January 13, 2011 - 

At Dr. Phil’s behest, ‘golden-voiced’ man to check into rehab

On ‘Dr. Phil,’ family members claim he has been drinking daily



I wish Mr. Williams well and at least for the short term he will not have to panhandle.

I have blogged about my situation and the reality is I am one of who knows how many people are in the same boat in Boston, New England and the rest of the United States. Things are not good out there right now.

What I ask of people is not to throw all homeless persons into the same boat. Every single person has a story that brings them to today.

Boston is a big problem and all one has to do is walk around Harvard Square and see the number of people in sleeping bags. Everyone has their own story, just like Ted Williams.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment