Thursday, August 12, 2010

boredom on a Thursday night

Today was a 'nothing' day.

I was simply too exhausted to do anything. I was able to get to the meals for lunch and supper and just listened to the Red Sox game. UGH

Now I wait in Harvard Sq for my hideaway to been available which won't be until after Midnight.

But I am meeting others who are on the streets and learning how screwed up the system is.

The only place in Cambridge with beds open is CASPAR at 240 Albany Street but you have to be intoxicated to get in. I can't and won't do that.

CASPAR

The other Cambridge shelters are full and you have to call in the morning but they are overwhelmed. The harsh reality is many have seen unemployment run out.

I have been chatting with a woman who is near 50. She is currently sleeping at the front of the Harvard Coop. She is a lawyer and has found NOTHING in 2 years. She is over qualified and she said that since high school she had never gone more than seven days without a job.

The stereotype is homeless people are druggies, alcoholic or mentally ill. Well in Cambridge they can get beds. The people I am meeting are like me, no family to bail them out and just having a bad time. For some younger folk, being 'homeless' is a fun way to spend the summer and I have seen their campground near the Weeks Bridge.

Friday I will hit the deck at dawn. I know there is a way out.

I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment