Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A long day dealing with everything

I am exhausted.

Started day with breakfast at the senior center in Central Square, Cambridge and then putting in applications for emergency/senior/disabled housing in Cambridge, Brookline and Newton. These agencies are simply overwhelmed and while Cambridge and Newton have some options they go to residents first while Brookline where my last residence was doesn't have much at all. The big headache is to get emergency housing in Cambridge or Newton I need an address in that city. Both cities offer rooms at the local YMCA which would be fine and affordable. Brookline just has nothing, not even a shelter.

Ummm IF I had an address I wouldn't be in this situation. Talk about a Catch-22.

I have been told to avoid Boston as I could wind up somewhere that isn't safe.

I was contacted by someone at Somerville Homeless and I will stop by tomorrow. I have precious little cash and I am trying to take full advantage of the Charlie Card transfer system.

Bank of America just won't budge so I made another stop in Newton at Barney Frank's office to show my bank statement that shows all the overdraft fees were caused by a deposit I made that bounced (see a previous post). Not having that $455 is crippling me right now. The person there was understanding and forward it to Washington and also told me that Barney wants this overdraft madness to stop. A court in California just yesterday slammed Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo loses debit card case

Then I had to rush back to Cambridge for the senior meal at Cambridge Hospital. I am simply physically and mentally exhausted. I am only getting about 3 hours of sleep and my body is not happy. At least Sprint says I can pay on September 3rd when I get my next check but I have NO CLUE on how I can survive for 3 weeks with nothing.

One old homeless guy in Harvard Sq says I should go to the hospital and say I am going to kill myself and that would buy me a week or more. I just can't and won't play that game.


There is a dry shelter in MARLBORO but then I would be stranded out there. The MetroWest Transit System is barebones and getting to Boston is a 10 round trip by either bus or commuter rail. Other shelters in Waltham and Cambridge are full. Pine Street I am told has a daily lottery and if you don't get in there you are bused to a place on an island off Quincy.

I just want to sleep but my 'hiding place' in Harvard Sq is not an option until after 1 AM.

The nightmare continues

No comments:

Post a Comment